Thursday, December 2, 2010

Fractions?

So I missed blogging about Halloween and Thanksgiving, and I may come back to them at some point, but I want to just get this down really fast before I take my much needed relaxing time.


I helped in both boys' classes today (hence the much needed relaxing time), and right before I left David's class, his teacher said she wanted to show me something. In math they did something for the first time where they wrote numbers in to make an equation balanced. For this one particular example, they were supposed to make both sides equal 3. So, maybe 1+1+1 on one side and 2+0+1 on the other. I guess the only other option is 3+0+0. The only other option using whole numbers, that is.

David wrote 1 1/3+1/3+1 1/3 on one side, and 1 1/2+1 1/2 on the other. Now, we talk about fractions sometimes with relation to food, but I don't think I've ever written them down for him. I certainly haven't gone out of my way to teach him. And yet, he was able to figure out and write that 1 1/3+1/3+1 1/3=3.

With all the times that child gets in trouble, it's nice to have something to pat him on the back about.

4 comments:

Mark and Karen said...

That's just amazing!!!

miriam said...

don't forget to blog David's birthday and baptism too. you can just put pictures.

miriam said...

and that is very impressive about david. maybe he's too book smart, he doesn't have room for any "street" smarts.

Nadine said...

I'm so impressed by that BIG boy!