Wednesday, July 15, 2009

I can run fast!

Last year I visited my parents in June for Danny to go through the temple, and after a weekend of Nadine & Miriam doing a Marathon while Danny & Hannah ran the Meridian Mini-Marathon, I decided to take up jogging. My first jog was June 9th, so just over 13 months ago, and I really struggled to do maybe a mile. Well, after working hard for a year, I just ran in my first race! It felt good to have something to do that is all for me. I mean, running isn't exactly the most fun hobby in the world, but it works.

closing in on the finish line...I can do it!
But this is me less than a minute later. Not looking as happy! Oh, and I thought they told me to take off my number, not just rip off the bottom. Newbie mistake. I like how nice and flat my tummy looks - thank you, gravity!
My goal was to make 28 minutes, I'd been finishing around 28:15-28:30. I made it in 27:36!!! That's an 8:54 mile, maintained for 3.1 miles! And, mostly as a result of small age ranges and apparently not many 25-29 year old females, I got 2nd place in my division!!! The first place was in the 20 minute range, but we won't think about that. Second place, woohoo!


Here's me with Bryan Cook. Our families have been friends for as long as I can remember. He got second place too! Of course, he had to run a lot faster to place in a men's division. Boys can run fast. The first place guy was in the 16 minute range! Holy cow!

My mom ran too! Yay Grandma!

I feel very good about accomplishing this. I'm not exactly sure what to set as future goals though. I still can just barely do 3.5 miles, I guess I'll work on distance. And in a month and a half when both boys are in school it'll be easier, not so much running in circles. Well, there's a 5K this Saturday for our Stake that I'm planning on doing, maybe I'll shoot for 27:30. I can do it!

2 comments:

miriam said...

You should work up for a 10k! I want to run a 5k this year, but I don't think I can do it as fast as you!

Nurse Heidi said...

You go girl!! Work your miles up to a 10k...and then a half. Come on down and I'll do one with you. We've got a whole passel of Babycenter gals doing the Hobblecreek half in 3 weeks and I can't wait! Watch out - distance running is addictive :).