Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Bathroom Fix-up, Mostly Done

I wish I had thought to take a "before" picture to fully appreciate the transformation. We had white walls, not great wood cupboards, yucky looking vinyl floor, and nasty, nasty toilet and caulking. And not just because we have a few boys here who lack the ability to aim. And no amount of scrubbing made it look clean. Ick.

Now we have fun green walls! I wanted to go fairly bright to make it work with the shower curtain. It turned out a bit brighter than I thought it would, but I think it looks good as a kids' bathroom!

We will be changing the countertop at some point. It isn't too ugly, but it doesn't quite fit the colorful room! And Dan wants to do a granite tile countertop in the kitchen, so we're going to have him practice in here. Better to have the learning done in the kids' bathroom!


I painted the cupboards and baseboards white. I will probably be doing the door at some point if I decide I like it enough. At this point I'm a little concerned about the ability of the white paint to withstand usage. I cleaned this bathroom this morning (hence my willingness to post pictures online!), and I noticed some dings and scratches in it. Maybe we'll need to figure something else out. Again, good to practice in here!

And Dan did the beautiful tile floor back in November, but I never thought to post pictures of it. Maybe because I didn't do the hard work! Anyhow, I really love the tile we picked, and Dan did a great job with it. See Honey, it was worth it to learn how in our old house!


I've been thinking about keeping a house clean vs. decorating a house lately. I'd love to have a super cute house like what you see in a magazine. But first of all, I am not so great at keeping it clean, so I should probably tackle that issue first. And second, I really just don't know how. All the little extra decoration-y things just seem unnecessary to me, but they're needed to get that look! I just can't feel good about spending much money on things that are entirely un-functional. I'm still torn about the whole issue. The bathroom looks nice, but unfinished. But does it really matter?

1 comments:

Ty said...

Let me know if Dan wants help doing the granite tile. I have very little experience, but would love to help.