Thursday, June 24, 2010

Ryan got an owie :-(

Now that summer vacation is upon us, the boys get to join me when I go jogging. We go out to the main road, go for a ways, turn around and go home, then I finish the distance I want to run by doing laps around the neighborhood while the boys stay home. This week they both started going way ahead of me, so we went further than I had planned - we made it a mile away from the house before turning around!

Well today, a little while after turning around I noticed Ryan sitting on the sidewalk a ways down the road. I figured he was being cranky about being forced to ride his bike (he frequently starts out that way but usually snaps out of it). Then I noticed someone jogging towards me, assumed that they were out for a run like I was, and that Ryan was in his way. Then this guy stops to talk to Ryan, and I assume he's just being nice before continuing to run. Then as I get close to them I notice a car pulled over just a little ways down the road - turns out he saw Ryan crash on his bike and pulled over just to help him!

Poor little Ryan had quite the scraped up knee, and couldn't really ride his bike home. I was trying to figure out how to get Ryan, Katy, Molly, Ryan's bike, and the jogging stroller all home when a police officer pulls up beside us! He just wanted to see what was going on, and he offered to take the bike to our house. I had piled Ryan & Katy into the stroller, so I jogged the remaining .7 mile with both of them - hoo boy was that a lot harder than just Katy!

Well, we made it home, and the police officer was there waiting to make sure everything was okay. He gave the kids the junior sheriff stickers, which they were all excited about!

So then it was time to clean up the scrape. I sat him on the bathroom counter to wash his knee. He was very sad while I was doing this.


Pretty decent scrape there! Poor guy...it's just part of being a kid.

The bandaids miraculously cured him, and he felt much better. Well enough to start being happy about the dime David found & gave to him in an effort to cheer him up.

So here are all the kids with their star stickers. And all 3 of them with the extra little piece of sticker on their forehead. Silly kids.

So all in all, it was an awful lot of drama for just a scraped up knee! But it sure was nice to have a random stranger & police officer both stop to help!

0 comments: