Thursday, April 30, 2009

Simple Requests of a Child


Today after dropping David off at school (we put up new, sun blocking curtains last night, so he didn't wake up in time to make it to the bus!) I took the other two on a couple errands. We made a return at QFC & bought some ribs (since Dan won't be home for dinner tonight and he is the only one that doesn't like them, I thought I'd take advantage of the opportunity to make them tonight!), deposited a check, then went to Target to get a refill of David's ADHD meds (since I had a coupon for a gift card with purchase of a new prescription). Anyhow, I just went to Target Tuesday night, so I didn't have anything specific to shop for while they got the prescription filled. So, since Ryan's birthday is in 77 days and Katy's is in 34, we looked for what they want to ask for.

Ryan wants a Pokemon Diamond Version DS game. There are 6 Pokemon DS games (David has 2 of them), and it has to be the Diamond one. That's the biggest thing he asked for.

He also wants a Bakugan launcher, a Bakugan display case, and a big Bakugan. Oh, and maybe a battle pack (6 pack!) of Bakugan.

This is ALL he asked for.

Not that I think it's an insignificant amount to get - if we got it all it'd be around $100. We definitely don't want to spend that much. What impressed me was that he didn't even ASK for anything else! We went up and down all the toy aisles, and I kept pointing out other things to him. We looked at Legos, Star Wars stuff, matchbox cars...everything. He would see something that caught his eye, and I'd ask him if he wanted to ask for it for his birthday. And in his sweet little Ryan voice he would say "No, I just want the Bakugan launcher."

It was very humbling. Because if I went to Target and looked for everything I wanted, the list would go on and on! But my sweet little almost-5-year-old just asked for 4, maybe 5 different toys. And the one he is most excited about, the one he kept saying that he wanted the most, costs $14.89. A couple times he asked "Do you think you'll get it for me for my birfday?" I don't want to commit to anything and take away the excitement/suspense/anticipation, so I was still a little vague. But of COURSE I'll get it for him! Fifteen bucks for something he is SO excited about? Yes, I'll get it for you, my little Rynan!

0 comments: