Friday, May 15, 2009

I've decided that we made the right choice

Today was a running day, and, as usual, I spent much of my run/jog thinking about blogging. Usually I forget long before I'm home, showered, and presentable. Today I remembered!

Several times I've thought about blogging on the things I do and do not like about living here. There are definitely some of both! But something occurred to me today while I was running (is it okay to call it running if I average a 9 minute mile? Or should I call it jogging?). Most of the cons about living here are specific to the smallish apartment, not the Vancouver area. On the other hand, many of the pros ARE about the area. Let me explain further:

Things I like about living here:

Being fairly close to my parents. Next weekend David has a 4 day weekend (not sure why they get Friday off as well...), so we're heading up to visit them. It's nice that it's so easy!

The weather! While it has rained quite a bit, it isn't as much as I expected. So either it rains less here than in Kent, I forgot how much it rained in my almost decade in Utah, or it's a less rainy year than usual. Maybe it all got used up in the snow. Anyhow, for about a month now there have been several days a week that are gorgeous outside. Like 72 degrees with a light breeze type gorgeous! That just doesn't happen in Utah. It's too cold, then almost overnight it's too hot. I'm loving the comfortable temperature here!

And connected to the weather, I love the scenery. Lots of beautiful green trees and grass everywhere you look. It's just lovely.

I like not having my ward and neighborhood being one and the same. I'm not sure why it's nice, but it was really getting old to have it that way in Utah.

And, this one isn't WA specific, but could have been fixed by moving out of Eagle Mountain - I love being close to civilization again. Fred Meyer is only a bit over half a mile away. McDonalds is even closer. We have a nice library (part of a pretty big library system) and Community Center less than 10 minutes away. It's great!

Now, the things I don't like abut living here:

You know what, I think it's practically ALL about our apartment! All our appliances are smaller - washing machine & dryer, dish washer, and fridge & freezer. And our sink is small, with only one section and no sprayer. We don't have central heating, just a separate heater for each room. And no AC at all - hopefully we just won't need it! We don't have a separate play room, so the kids rooms are always messy with toys. The computer is right next to the TV so I don't get as relaxing of a break while the kids watch a show and I play online (and there isn't any other good place to put it). The closet doors come off their tracks on a daily basis (at least in the boys room), and are designed so a couple feet on each side can't ever be fully opened to. And I miss having a garden.

I miss the stores and other places that I know - the Sara Lee bread outlet, Albertsons (although I just found out that the closest one is 14 minutes, which would be okay for an occasional good sale) with Pinching your Pennies to tell me the good deals, Thanksgiving Point, Lehi Legacy Center, our family doctor, my cute optomotrist (I got horrible contacts at the one I used in Kent!)...I think of things like that fairly often.

I miss my friends, especially Gayelinn. I'm getting to know people, but it's hard. And most of the people here have been here for quite a while and aren't on the lookout for a new bff (look how hip I am for using teeny-bopper lingo!).

And Dan & I don't like our callings. Cub scouts for me, ward missionary for Dan. He got a call last night asking him to teach Gospel Essentials on Sunday. He is quite un-excited about it.


So, most of the cons will probably go away with time. We'll hopefully buy a house when our lease is up, and all those apartment cons will go away. And I'll find my new "places." We already know we love the OMSI, we have a doctor appointment on the 26th and will hopefully love the new doc, and there's an Orroweat outlet near Costco. I'll figure it out. And I'll make new friends. Probably not another Gayelinn, but hopefully at least someone to trade babysitting with and invite over despite the mess. The callings...well, we'll probably have those until we change our attitude! I'll try...

So, all in all, I like it here. Not so much here in this apartment, but here in the Pacific Northwest. It's so pretty.

0 comments: