Monday, October 12, 2009

Poor sick Rynan


I woke up yesterday to Dan telling me he thinks a kid is throwing up.

I love how his instinct is to wake me up rather than go to the child.


So I stumble out to the loft to find Ryan sitting next to the toilet. He made it! No mess to clean up! In my sleepy stupor I was unsure of what to do with him. It was 6:30, so not quite time to be up yet. He sleeps on the top bunk, so I didn't want to send him back to his bed - less likely he'd make it the next time, and harder to clean up if he didn't. I ended up bringing him to bed with us. Which didn't work. He kept making weird noises that kept setting off my mommy-radar that he was going to be sick again (even though it was hours before he was). After a little while Dan decided to just take Ryan downstairs.

I guess that makes up for waking me up in the first place!

When I woke up a couple hours later Ryan was just sitting on the couch whimpering. As soon as I sat by him and started rubbing his back he calmed down. He had asked for Daddy to stay home from church with him, but it quickly became apparent that he needed me there, too. That, coupled with the fear of the other children spreading the disease (since you are contagious before you have symptoms, and they had clearly been exposed), meant we all stayed home together all day.

Ryan spent most of the day asleep. He'd wake up, start watching a show, then frequently be asleep before it was over. I would guess he took at least 6-8 different "naps" yesterday. And he still went to bed before 9 and slept all night. Poor tired little guy! Oh, and he only threw up 4 times, spread out over the day, which isn't too bad for a kid with a tummy bug!

Ryan was such a good patient. Any time we asked him how he felt he'd say "good." He didn't complain at all. I asking if he wanted anything - sprite, back scratch, etc. - and he almost always said no. Really, as far as a day with a sick kid goes, it was pretty much ideal.

Today he seems a lot more normal, just a little subdued, and still doesn't have much of an appetite. He only took some nibbles of his peanut butter sandwich at lunch, which is a big change from his usual 2 full sandwiches! He's been watching TV or playing on the computer all of the day, not wanting to play at all (he normally doesn't need prompting to turn off the TV to go play). I'm glad I kept him home from school. Too bad he doesn't have class again until Thursday though!

Now we get to play the "who barfs next" game. Katy drank out of Ryan's sippy cup in his bed yesterday, so my bet is on her. And she doesn't know to go to the toilet or a bowl like Ryan does. That's not going to be fun. Guess I better make sure I know where the carpet cleaner is!

1 comments:

miriam said...

I remember the last time I was barfy sick, I was 16, and I woke mom up to tell her and all she said was "ok".

Good job Ryan for making it to the toilet!