Monday, August 18, 2008

Happy Anniversary!

Seven and a half years ago, on February 27th, 2001, I was studying for a Physical Science exam in the hall right outside the band room right after getting out of band. I was unsure about a concept, so I asked a friend, Joe Jensen, if he knew. He said he didn't, then as a friend of his walked up, said "Ask Dan, he'd know." So I started chatting with his friend. Turned out we were in both Symphonic Band and Physical Science together. We made plans to study together for future tests, and I left to go take that one.

Over the next couple months we became really good friends. We studied together for a few tests, sat together in Physical Science every day, and starting hanging out outside of class/studying as well. The last day of the semester came, and I really wanted to go to the dance that night. I had gone on a few dates with somebody else, and had been waiting for them to ask me. They hadn't, so I was thinking of asking someone else that I had a little crush on. I didn't run into him all day, and time was running short, so I asked my good buddy Dan if he'd go with me.

So we went on our first date that night, April 17th I believe, still just good friends. The guy I had been kind of dating showed up with someone else, so we didn't hang around all that long. We left and went for a walk around campus. I decided I was in the mood for some recreational kissing, and made the move on poor sweet Dan, still not interested in more than friendship.

Well, the kissing meant a lot more to Dan than it did to me, and he started hanging around a lot more. Over the next couple weeks I came to realize that he was everything I should be looking for. "Should" because I was 18, and mostly dated guys solely because they were cute, then breaking up with them once that got boring & I realized I didn't like them. Dan had become my best friend, and the physical attraction part grew as I fell in love with who he was as a person.



Once I realized that, there was no point in waiting. We got engaged sometime in the middle of June, setting a date for only two months later.



From then on we were the typical blissfully self-absorbed engaged couple. I actually didn't even put a lot of thought or effort into our wedding & reception. Look at our announcement, for crying out loud - there's a typo! I was just so ecstatic to be getting married to someone so perfect for me (even not knowing at the time how much so), I wasn't really concerned with the details.



August 18th, 2001, we got married in the Seattle temple. I always thought I'd cry at my wedding, but it was Dan that did the crying. I, instead, just smiled the hugest smile until I felt like my face would fall off. I was so happy!


Seven years have gone by and three children have joined our family. And even with all the trials of raising those kids & taking care of a home, I'm living the life I always wanted. And I'm still so very happy to get to spend my life with my best friend. Happy Anniversary, my Danny Love!

4 comments:

Jenn said...

Happy Anniversary Rachel!!!

Emily said...

What a tender story of falling in love! Happy Anniversary. I am so glad that you guys are so happy and healthy!

miriam said...

I don't think I new your "story" before. So sweet. Happy anniversary!

Nadine said...

Yea! It's so fun to look at the old pictures. 7 years - that's such a great, happy accomplishment. Congrats!