Monday, March 1, 2010

funny joke, and random thoughts from my Monday morning

Just got this in my email, and I'm still giggling about it. Thought I'd share:

In the Supermarket
At our supermarket, I noticed a woman with four boys and a baby. Her patience was wearing thin as the boys called out, "Mommy! Mommy!" while she tried to shop.

Finally, she blurted out, "I don't want to hear the word mommy for at least ten minutes!"

The boys fell silent for a few seconds. Then one tugged on his mother's dress and said softly, "Excuse me, miss."
-- Dennis Dook


Random Thoughts
  • Still haven't found my mail key. It's been missing for probably 3 weeks now, although I caught the mailman one time 2 weeks ago and had him get the mail. On the plus side, the car has been thoroughly cleaned out and vacuumed, and the living room, kitchen, and family room have all been organized, all in an attempt to find it. At this point I'm pretty sure either a) it got picked up with the junk mail and recycled, b) Katy carried it off and it's hiding with her toys, or c) it's hiding in all the paper clutter of the office. I really should get the office organized before shelling out 40 bucks. But it's a new month, we need our rent check from our Utah house and new bills and stuff. Oh, and I would guess our mail is being held at the post office by this point, I really should look into that.
  • Ryan put his pants on backwards this morning. I told him to turn them around (If I just point out that they're backwards he laughs and leaves them that way), and he took them off and put them on backwards again! I'm pretty sure he fixed them before heading to school. Why on earth does he do that? It's WAY more than 50/50 forwards/backwards, he gets them backwards probably 3/4 of the time!
  • When I was doing Katy's hair today she asked me who has long hair, then told me Katelyn (a friend from nursery) & Amy (her babysitter that she LOVES and talks about several times a day) do. I asked her what color Amy's hair is, and she told me it was brown (I was curious to see if she said brown or black because it is very dark brown). Then I asked what color her hair was, and she was like "Uh...what color is it?" I told her she has blonde hair. She told me she didn't want to have blonde hair, she wants pink hair. Um, no. Not gonna happen.
  • I wish I liked cleaning even 10% as much as I like having a clean house. I frequently tell myself that I'm going to get lots of cleaning done, but there are so many other things that are more fun...
  • The missionaries are coming to dinner tonight (so I'll force myself to clean...it's easier to do when other people are going to see it). The last 2 times they've come, the kids have been awful. One time they all ran laps around the first floor, the other time they kept hanging on the Elders. Am I a glutton for punishment to try again? I really want them to learn how to behave!
  • I helped in Ryan's class this morning, which I've been doing ever week for probably 5 or 6 weeks now. I'm really amazed at the range in abilities among the kids. Ryan can read just about anything, and I bet there are others around his level. Then there are kids that don't even know their letters! I remember doing Letter People in kindergarten, learning a different letter every week. Now these kids are being taught on the assumption that they know how to recognize and write the letters, and some just can't do it. And while Ryan can read wonderfully, his writing is pretty awful. He would benefit greatly from letter writing practice. I've been doing some at home, so I guess I should just keep that up. I worry about the other kids that struggle with writing and/or reading, and wonder if they're getting the help they need. If they fall behind now, how will they catch up? I think being a teacher must be really stressful if for no other reason than that!
That's about it. I'll work on cleaning the office now, I think I'd better call the post office by 3 or so, so I can go in if I need to.

0 comments: