Tuesday, October 21, 2008

more bragging about my smart boys

David's kindergarten class has a calendar with various homework projects/activities (like the jumping jacks...look down a few posts if you don't know what I'm talking about!), and we're supposed to pick 3 a week, and turn it in at the end of the month. I'm a little bad at remembering to do them each day, so we frequently end up doing 2 or 3 at a time. Today we picked one from last week - "Draw a picture with a pumpkin, a bat, and the moon in it." I sent him to the table, and this was what he did:

He started telling me about the phases of the moon, and that the blank part was a new moon. I told him that he should write it so other people would know that, and he only needed a little help (he wanted to spell new "noo," which makes perfect sense to me!). What 5 year old knows about the phases of the moon? I was really impressed!

Then I told him that I thought Miss Lindberg probably wanted a picture that just had those things in it rather than a picture of those things. So here was his second go at it:

So those are three clouds, two are raining and one has lightening. Down at the bottom is a scary metal spikey fence. The gray triangle is a haunted house, which he clearly forgot to put details on. Then he drew a circle (kinda) for the moon. I told him he should color it so we would know it was a moon. I expected yellow. Nope, he colored it gray, with white holes that I can only assume are craters! Smart boy!

On to boy #2! Ryan, who just turned 4 in July, is fast becoming an excellent reader! He doesn't really get the "sounding out" concept, and I am much, much quicker at supplying the word for him than I am for David. I figure I'd rather have him enjoy reading than stress him out about it. So he's taking a turn every night, and really loving it! And he's getting a large vocabulary of sight words, some of which surprise me. Tonight, for example, he read "black" and "blue" with no hesitation! And somewhere he learned the rule of an "e" at the end of a word making the vowel say its name (I've taught David, so maybe he was listening?), and kept having a really hard time not saying "some" with the "o" saying its name! Silly English language has so many exceptions! Anyhow, I have been having him read a different book every night, and not ones that we've read recently, and he is doing great! I'm so proud of him!

1 comments:

miriam said...

that's very impressive.