Tuesday, March 17, 2009

An Important Milestone!

(Katy is saying "Cheese," actually quite happy, not crying like this picture appears)

I'd like to announce that we just reached a very important milestone. I just took a shower while Katy was awake and free to wander the house, and nothing bad happened! For those of you that do not yet have children, this is a BIG deal!

When you have a tiny baby you only shower when the baby is asleep, being held by somebody you trust, or occasionally in a bouncy chair in the bathroom so you can check on them every few seconds. At least, this is my experience.

Then as they get older and don't sleep quite as much or sit in a bouncy chair quite as contentedly, it gets even harder. If you absolutely have to shower before naptime, you put them in an exersaucer or high chair. Without snacks, though, or you spend your entire shower worrying that they're choking on their cheerios. So you put them in front of the TV and hope they stay entertained for 10 minutes so you can fully wash yourself AND get dressed before they need you again.

Eventually, around a year or so, you don't worry so much about choking, so you take advantage of breakfast, snack, or (more often than you'd like) lunch time to get showered.

Today, with Katy being 21 1/2 months old, was the first time I took a shower without her in her bed or high chair! I turned on an episode of Little Einsteins and hoped for the best. And when I came back down, I found Katy sitting in the green chair, cuddled up with my blankey & hers, totally focused on the show! YAY!

2 comments:

alanna said...

Yay! That is a milestone!
I love little einstiens for my 2 year old. I still put the high chair in the bathroom for my 9 month old. :)

Nadine said...

I can't believe how BIG she is getting!