Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Dr. Pepper


I just have to say that I love Dr. Pepper. It is one of my favorite things in the whole world. That makes me sound like a junkie, but I think I have a healthy relationship with it. I don't NEED it, and I don't even have it every day. And usually a 12 oz can is enough. I just really, really enjoy it.

What is so great about it? Well, I enjoy the sounds of preparing it. It has to be in a cup with ice, and I've learned to love those sounds of the pop can opening & pouring over the ice. Then I really enjoy the flavor, and the amount of carbonation in it (but only prepared the way I like it, I really can't stand it straight from a can, or even without ice to make the bubbles lessen). And I love the way it makes me feel. Being a stay-at-home mom with kids that sleep 11 hours (and I don't even have to get up when the boys do anymore), I rarely suffer from lack of sleep (and if I do it's my own stupid fault!). So it isn't like it wakes me up. It does, however, perk me up. I think there's a difference. It's more of a mental thing than a physical. It makes me feel a lot more motivated, usually about whatever currently needs my motivation!

Tonight, for example, I was dreading the bedtime routine. The boys had just had an outburst at the end of dinner (with Ryan chasing David with his fork while all 3 adults yelled at him), and I was not feeling up to dealing with it. I told them to get in the pajamas, so naturally they went to the rec room to play. I decided not to fight that for a little while, and got myself a drink. A few minutes later, I felt great! I started feeling all warm and fuzzy about my kids. I had lots of patience with them, and did a great job lovingly reading to them and preparing them for bed. It was great! Now I've ended the mommy part of the day feeling like I've been a good mommy. If not for my Dr. Pepper indulgence, I'd probably have yelled & stressed, only to feel guilty about being a bad mommy.

So maybe there are mixed feelings about whether or not caffeinated beverages are okay, but I really think they can serve a good purpose. I don't see how it's different than taking tylenol or something. Just for my mood! And now, isn't that good for everybody?

2 comments:

jaclyn weist said...

Just a small FYI. I was telling my dad this thing about how Dr Pepper is giving away free Dr Peppers because Guns n Roses(I think) came out with a new album. He told me that Dr. Pepper has been known to give people liver disease!! He had a friend having problems and that was the first thing the doctor asked him. I said uh oh because that's what I drink when I have a headache because caffeine helps it(I only drink when I have a headache so it will actually work). SO, I think once mine is gone, I'll move onto a different beverage!!! It is good though!! I'm guessing you probably have to drink more than just one a day to make it happen but I decided to stay away anyway!

bizzymomma said...

I love Coke and I don't feel bad about it at all!!