Friday, December 5, 2008

Our whirlwind road trip!

Yesterday most of the day was spent sitting around playing Wii with the boys or trying to figure out what to do for a Christmas card. I felt really sluggish & lazy, so I got a Dr. Pepper for a pick-me-up. I don't have caffeine all that often, so even just a little bit perks me right up. Sometimes it does what I want, and I get super energized to clean the house. Other times my newfound excitement goes other directions. In hindsight, I think that is what was responsible for what happened next...

I was texting Dan right before going to the bus stop to pick up David. I said "I wish I was coming to see you." It was his birthday, and I was really sad to not be together. Then on my way to the bus stop I started thinking "Well, why don't we?" If I had planned in advance I would have packed and been ready to go when David got out of school, but I wasn't very much later. I knew I needed to decide fast, and was having a hard time thinking clearly. I asked the children (because their behavior is so important on a road trip!), and both boys kind of didn't want to. Then I asked Katy if she wanted to go see Daddy, and she said "YES!" and nodded a whole bunch! So, I hurriedly packed everything we'd need for overnight. We got on the road only 45 minutes later!

We hit traffic almost immediately, so the trip took 3 hours 40 minutes (including a stop for gas & a quick McDonalds run). The kids were really good, and Katy only got cranky a little bit at the end. I was really excited to surprise Dan, but Uncle Jim let it slip. It was still really exciting for us all to be together!

Today we went to visit Daddy at his new office for the first time! I could have lived without driving downtown with all those one way roads, but we survived. It was fun to see where he works. Here's a picture of his back that I took and sent to him while I was trying to figure out where to park.



I'll post about the OMSI later. I told Grandma I was coming down to pack, so I should get to that! It was kind of silly to come down for one day, but we've had a good time! It's nice to be with Daddy!

0 comments: