Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Free Swimming!

With all the downsides that come with living in a fairly small apartment (Oh yeah, we realized a couple days ago that the 1446 sq ft includes the garage! It's 20x11, so that leaves 1226 for us to live in. Kinda deceptive...), there are 3 main pros. Unlimited garbage (although having to take it 1/3 of a mile away might cancel that out), someone else to do the yard work (I would like to garden, but that doesn't cancel out not having to worry about the grass!), and the clubhouse with workout room and swimming pool! It's been really nice lately, so I took the kids swimming 3 times in 4 days. It's been awesome to just go without having to worry about cost or distance (in Utah I'd take the kids swimming at the Legacy center, so 15-20 min drive and $8, probably more this year with Ryan being older). We've had a great time!

Actually, we did have one problem. The first day we went I just took the younger two while David was at school. Katy and Ryan were just hanging out, floating around in their floaties. I took Ryan's floaties off, then took him about halfway down the pool, having him kick while I held him on his back, when suddenly Katy started splashing wildly. One of her floaties came off! It was like one of those nightmares when you can't move, and I realized I had to take Ryan to the side first before I could go to Katy. He didn't have his floaties on, and it would not be good to go save Katy while leaving Ryan to flail! So I hurried him over near the edge, yelled at him to hold on, then swam back to poor Katy without even checking to make sure he was okay (he was). She had been able to stay above water enough that she didn't even cough or anything, but that sweet little Goo was so very scared!

We went back the next day, and she would hardly get in at all. She did a lot of crying, and frantic clinging if I tried to take her in. It was so sad! In hindsight it was stupid to go that far away from her, but she had floaties on and it didn't occur to me that they wouldn't stay that way!

So yesterday started the same, but she eventually warmed up. She felt brave enough to walk around the little splash pool by herself, and even progressed from jumping while Mommy held her around the waist, to jumping to Mommy, to just jumping in by herself! It was so nice to see her enjoying herself again!

I don't know why her face looks distorted. I guess I should try a real camera once in a while instead of just my cell phone!
After much time in the big pool, the boys got to go in the spa (6 and under aren't allowed, don't tell!). Which looked really dirty, ew, ew, ew. But they liked it!
I managed to get the inner tube up past my Mommy hips, and it stayed there for quite some time. David thought I should get a picture of it, so he took one. And even included his pruney finger as proof that he took it!

And this is what I get for spending so much time in the pool. None of the kids are burned at all, why am I?

1 comments:

miriam said...

NAKED!
I wish we had a workout room, pool,and garage. Jealous!