Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Girls are smarter than boys


That is my conclusion. Either that or our 1 girl just happens to be advancing faster than our 2 boys. It's mostly in the communication area that I see it. She says quite a few cute little words, and often manages to communicate her wants. Usually that revolves around food (not just the tantrum over Lucky Charms this morning, like a few minutes ago she showed me that she wanted some pretzels) and drink (she often points up to the cupboard where her sippy cups are kept).

Then a little while ago I started getting a whiff of what Katy was doing under the kitchen table. I didn't grab her immediately, on the chance that she was not finished. Less than a minute later she said "da" and grabbed at her diaper. She wanted her stinky diaper changed! I don't think either of the boys cared until they were at least 3. Seriously, Ryan wouldn't even notice when he had accidents in underwear, let alone in a diaper!

I guess it's a silly thing to be excited about, but it's just one more little sign that my baby girl is growing up. Not only did she recognize that she needed a diaper change, she told me. So big!

Oh, and while I've been writing this, Katy got into the under the sink area that is supposed to be locked. I went and locked it, and said "Katy, do you want to play with your toys? Where are your toys?" She said something - most of her words are variations on "da," with the a having lots of different sounds - that sounded like she might be trying to say "park," and walked to the front door. I said "Oh, you want to play at the park?" She said "Yes!" I told her "No, we're not going to the park." She started crying, and went to the shoe basket to get me my shoes. So smart!

1 comments:

miriam said...

what a smart little girl! now she just needs to figure out that just because she can tell you what she wants it doesn't mean she gets it!