Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Thank Goodness for Baby Einstein!

It wasn't long ago (about a month or two) that Katy showed absolutely zero interest in the television. It was really hard to get anything (like, taking a shower) done when she'd only sit in her high chair for a few minutes at a time! Well, I finally found some Baby Einstein animal movies that capture her attention. She absolutely loves animals, so watching a movie of animals doing their thing really makes her happy. It's been so nice! There are so many things that are hard to do while Katy is wandering around (emptying & loading the dishwasher, folding the laundry, cleaning the bathroom, etc.), it is wonderful to have a way to keep her occupied so I can get them done.

And now I've discovered another thing I can do while she's watching her shows. I can feed her! She is very opinionated about what she'll eat. She won't eat any fruit, doesn't like most crackers...the only things I can always get her to eat are pretzels, cheetos, and string cheese. Those things are okay (especially the cheese) in moderation, but they do not make a healthy diet by themselves. And this is pretty gross, but last week I learned how slow her system was moving thanks to her lack of fiber - it was more than 40 hours from the time we had corn for dinner to the time she deposited it in her diaper. Poor baby! Well, this morning she ate a pretty big serving of applesauce! She was watching her show, and nicely opening her mouth for me to feed her - something that only happens a couple times a week lately. Yay! Am I setting her up for a lifetime of mindless eating in front of the television? Or am I just doing what I have to do to make sure my daughter eats a healthy diet? I suppose I shouldn't just turn on the telly for every meal, but at least I have a trick up my sleeve now.

2 comments:

JoJo Gonzo said...

I like to eat corn

miriam said...

maybe she'd like raspberries. that and applesauce is the only fruit I eat.