Monday, July 14, 2008

Our latest project!

As usual, I have a good excuse for not blogging much lately. I've been working hard! We decided to tear up our backyard and start over. Seriously. It used to look really good, but a combination of grubs & sprinklers that didn't quite cover everything really killed it. There was no coming back. So, rather than try and sell our house (we already gave in and signed with an agent, btw...) with a nasty backyard, we're redoing it!

This is what our backyard looked like in September of 2006. Nice, soft, green grass. Too bad it didn't last...


I forgot to take a "before" picture, but I was able to find some pictures that included our yucky grass in them. These were all taken in May & June of this year. This is not a very nice backyard anymore!



This was a project that we did a couple weeks ago. We decided it was so much easier to just do wood chips. Now we don't have to try and get the sprinklers to hit that area, and I never have to mow around it again. And the boys say that we turned the backyard into a park, so they love it!


So, last weekend we rented a rototiller and dug up the entire backyard. We let it sit for a week to let the sod pieces dry up. And here's what we spent most of Saturday working on, and what I have worked on all morning. I raked the sod pieces out, smoothed it out, and used a lawn roller on it. It was really hard work!



Now I just have to go unload a cubic yard of topsoil and take it back there...wish me luck!

3 comments:

miriam said...

did you dye your hair again? or does it just look a lot blonder because of the sun?
hard work looks like it's paying off! that's one of the few perks of living in an apartment, I don't have any yard to tend.
going with an agent will probably be good. hopefully you'll get closer to what price you want that way.

bizzymomma said...

Wow that is a lot of work. I hated selling our home. It is a lot of work, of course we ended up paying someone to do our home repairs instead of doing them ourself. good luck!!!

Nurse Heidi said...

Holy moly, that's quite a project! You'll definitely have abs and arms of steel by the time you're done. I'll cross my fingers that your home sells quickly.