Saturday, January 3, 2009

My New Years Goals

Every year New Years sneaks up on me, and I forget to plan my resolutions beforehand. Which then bothers me because I can't say I've done thing every day of the year. But I'm trying to be calmer about that. And I'm adopting the term "goal" instead of "resolution." In my mind a resolution is something you swear to do or not to do, then eventually break it and give up. A goal is more of a general attempt towards something, and isn't so all or nothing.

At some point, I think in our Eagle Mountain ward, and I want to say ward conference or something, we learned about the 4 parts of ourselves that we need to work on & develop. They are Social, Educational, Physical, and Spiritual. At least, I think that's what they were. Now that I've written them here, I'm unsure. Well, they sound good. So, over the last couple days I've been reading lots of other peoples' New Years blogs, and I've been taking what sounds good for me (Heidi, I really liked a lot of yours! Sorry for copying!). And after a little while of working on them, I noticed that they can roughly be broken down into the 4 categories. The educational category is a stretch (where else would financial go?), and social is modified for a mommy. But I think it works.

Spiritual
· Read the Scriptures or Ensign every day.
· Prepare for & hold weekly FHE.

Physical
· Exercise for at least 20 minutes, 6 days a week (alternate aerobics & jogging).
· Eat at least 1 fruit & 1 vegetable each day (pathetic, I know, but it’s a start!)

Educational
· Read a book every month.
· Make a reasonable budget and stick to it. Save money by not spending it rather than by getting good deals!

Social
· Be more active about parenting my children for the long run. Really pay attention to them!
· Go on a real date with my husband at least once a month.

2 comments:

momentsthattakeyourbreathaway said...

Thanks for being so candid with us about your goals.

It's fun to see that we've got some of the same goals (eat at least one veg a day, read at least one book a month)...

Thanks for sharing,
Ammon and fam

The A Team Mom said...

I think these are excellent goals! Way to go! I need to make a list for myself... that way I do something!