Thursday, April 3, 2008

Rude!

I just got a letter in the mail from Gallagher Bassett Services, which is the claim administrator for Lifetouch Portrait Studios, which is the company which does JC Penney Portrait Studios. The point of the letter is the middle paragraph, which states:

"In review of the file contents and the claim investigation, I am unable to find any evidence to suggest that our client acted in a negligent manner or created a dangerous situation, which caused the incident and therefore must respectfully deny any/all liability."

What? They didn't create a dangerous situation? That is a perfect description of what they DID do! A door, off its hinges, propped up against an open closet, right next to the exact spot they have people place their babies. HOW IS THAT NOT A DANGEROUS SITUATION?!?!? Is the key word "evidence"? Are they not trying to say that they didn't do it, just that there isn't any evidence? I'm sorry I didn't photograph the accident location for proof, I was too busy trying to settle down my 2 1/2 month old baby and determine what kind of medical care she might need! I am so irritated that either they really think they didn't create a dangerous situation, or they are slimy enough to just point out that we don't have any evidence!

And have I been thinking about this lately? Not much. I have so much to do, Katy seems to be developing on track, and the bills are all taken care of (except one that I have to figure out why Aetna hasn't paid). I haven't been worried about it lately. I sent them the last bill a month or so ago, and with it I sent Dan's pay stub for that pay period, plus the one immediately before and after. I asked for them to reimburse the $700 or so that he lost by taking several days off to help with things, primarily taking care of the boys while I took care of Katy (part of the time in the hospital).

So a little while later they sent me a check for the $100 copay, and just ignored the pay stubs (or so I thought). I was just going to let it go. But now they are rubbing it in our faces! And over $700? You want to push the situation over $700? Part of me still thinks we should just let it go. But at this moment a big part of me is going "Oh yeah? You aren't responsible? Let's see what a jury has to say when they see pictures of my tiny baby with red eyes from crying and a neck brace on and an IV sticking out of her head!" I don't want any money (well, I do like money, but that's beside the point). It's the principle of the matter! You endangered my baby's life & sent her to the hospital, put us through lots of stress keeping track of bills & whatnot, and now you have the nerve to send me an unprovoked letter telling me it isn't your fault? RUDE!

3 comments:

Jenn said...

SCARY STUFF!!!

miriam said...

That's dumb. What is with these companies and not wanting to take responsibility? Garrett's parents had a washer and dryer installed yesterday from Sears, and nobody was there, and when Nathan got home, apparently the house was flooded (from the upstairs down) and they are going to have to at least replace the ceiling in the kitchen. And Sears claims they didn't do anything. They won't even answer their calls anymore! And this is just their house. JC Penney could have killed your baby and they pretend like they didn't do anything. Goodness!

Mitsy said...

OH MY GOSH....that is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard of. They ABSOLUTELY endangered your poor baby. I would push the matter too! I am so glad that Katie is ok but that is so incredibly scary