Monday, June 9, 2008

Back to being a grown up

Well, Katy and I arrived home last night from our quick trip to Washington. My little brother Danny went to the temple for the first time Friday evening, so 3 of my 4 siblings went together, along with my parents & one set of grandparents. My baby sister, Hannah, took care of Katy. It was a really nice experience to all be there together.

The other awesome part was not being a grown up for a couple days. Usually when I'm there I have 3 kids to take care of, and I'm there for long enough that I try to keep our mess down. Not this time! I only had Katy, and everyone was more than willing to help out with her (if only she was equally willing to be separated from her mother, even by a few feet...). And since I knew it was a short trip I allowed myself to eat lots of junk, play lots of Wii, and not clean up. It was fun! Thanks, Mom, for letting me just relax for a couple days!

While we where there Hannah & Danny ran the Meridian Mini Marathon (a little over 3 miles I believe). Danny took first overall, Hannah took first adult woman. And the rest of my siblings, Nadine & Miriam, along with my dad & Miriam's husband Garrett, ran a full marathon! I'm not sure why you would intentionally run for almost 6 hours straight, but I'm considering giving in to the peer pressure someday.

Well, at least, I was. This morning I got up when Dan did and went for a jog. I literally have not run more than the occasional catch-the-kid sprint since Dan & I were dating, about 7 years ago. I thought I was in pretty good shape still, since I ride the exercise bike a couple times a week, walk with 3 kids & a dog, and do occasional exercise tapes. This morning I was planning on running to the church down the road (second closest one to our house), which is about 3/4 of a mile away. I didn't make it. My lungs were burning, my knee was hurting, and I decided to turn around early. So I probably went a little less than a mile. And I even stopped to walk the last little bit. I'm a wimp! I guess I'll need to practice. I'm going to try and do that a couple times a week I think. It's nice being showered & dressed before going on duty for the day.

So I'm back home from my short little trip, excited to tackle all the things I want to do better at (exercising, parenting, housekeeping, etc.). I'm off to a great start so far. Ask me again in a few hours!

1 comments:

miriam said...

yeah, as of right now, I don't think I will ever run another marathon. 2 is enough for me. good job actually getting out there to go running even if it was just a little short run!