Thursday, June 12, 2008

Procrastination

This post is probably more for me than anybody else, so bear with me. I've been thinking about this a lot lately, and I guess I need somewhere to spew my thoughts.

At this point in my life, most of my unhappiness comes from my own procrastination. In the past there were things I wanted - a husband, a baby, a cat, a college degree, a house, a nicer car, a daughter...even a dog. I have all those things. Really, there is nothing that I want that I don't have. I mean, of course I'd like new clothes or something, and we are ready for a bigger house, but I don't feel like "My life will be so much better once I get _____" like I used to. That's an amazing thing! I am so incredibly blessed to have my life turning out exactly as I always wanted!

So why am I not giddy with joy? Why do I spend so much time feeling bad? Most of it is guilt & stress, and most of that is over things I am procrastinating.

I have never been a good housekeeper. I spend a whole lot of my time feeling bad that I'm not cleaning the house. Hello, just clean it, Rachel! Sitting around feeling bad that you aren't cleaning it is so much worse than just doing it! But there's always something. When Katy is awake, I wait for her to go to sleep. When she's asleep I think "I'm going to relax for a few minutes, then get started." Then after a little while I think "Shoot, I waited too long, I have to be quiet, so I have to just wait for her to wake up." or "Shoot, I waited too long, now it's my bedtime." And things don't get done! The boys are pretty good about clearing their dishes and putting their clothes in the dirty clothes hamper, but that's about all they can do. So I am in charge of dishes and laundry and picking up after myself, three children, a dog, and, let's face it, a husband. I feel so overwhelmed by that task that I just sit there feeling overwhelmed. I want so badly to have a beautiful, perfectly clean house. And it kills me that I am the one keeping myself from having it!

And it's not just cleaning. There are so many things. I wish I blogged more often. I wish I had the digital pictures better organized (and print them out & put them in books). I meant to have an Usborne books party for Katy's birthday, and still would like to have one. I usually have a couple loads of laundry sitting around, and I wish I would get to those sooner. I wish I was better about watering my plants (maybe my cucumbers wouldn't have died!). I want to organize the garage better. Heck, we have a storage unit full of stuff that we could probably get rid of! I wish I could be better about keeping track of our finances (I used to be!). I wish I read more adult books. I wish I finished one of the many, many craft projects I've started.

I could go on and on. One of the biggest downsides to being a Stay-at-Home-Mom is that I have nobody patting me on the back, telling me I'm doing a good job. Not that all jobs are rewarding experiences, but you know what I mean. I used to be a straight A student, involved in every possible extra-curricular. I now am a homemaker, and a pretty lousy one at that. And feeling like I suck at it just makes me not want to do it, and I fall further and further behind. It's a terrible downward spiral. And I don't know how to break it!

It's both empowering & depressing that I am responsible for my own happiness. I know I would feel better if I just stopped procrastinating all the things I need to do! I have done a good job for various stretches of time, and when I do I feel like everything is great in the world! So I know I can do it! It's all up to me! And that thought is immediately followed by "Then why the heck don't you? What is wrong with you? You have everything you could possibly want, and yet you fail." Then I feel bad, and certainly don't feel up to doing anything.

Okay, that's enough of that. Sorry to spread the gloom. I have a much happier post to share next...

4 comments:

Sue said...

I agree procrastination is a problem for most people. I think it is hard not to have any deadlines; that is why things don't get done for me. You are an amazing mother!! You don't have to have a perfectly clean house to have wonderful happy loving smart children. A lot of things you don't procrastinate like reading the scriptures as a family. When I came to help you after Katy's birth, I noticed a nice painting of Captain Moroni on your wall. I asked David if he knew about Captain Moroni. He told me the whole story. He was only 4½ years old. Keep up the good work! Work on cleaning your house too, if that will make you feel better.

Nurse Heidi said...

Being a SAHM is a tough job! You're right that we don't get many pats on the back. The kids complain about the food, things get dirty 10 seconds after we clean them up...aaaaaaaaaaah. I find that the less I have on my plate in terms of outside stuff going on, the less organized I am at home. I'm like you - I get sucked in to the computer, or a book or whatever and somehow it's suddenly 4 p.m. and the dishes are still not done from breakfast. The 4:00 blitz is a frequent occurrance at our house. Eh, whatever it takes to get it done I say.

Sounds like you need a little bit of me time. Motherhood gets overwhelming for me at times. Even having a couple hours away to my self periodically helps me regain my perspective and feel like I can handle the next hours, days, weeks, months.... We'll get together again soon.

miriam said...

there are more important things than having a clean house, unless you really want it clean, then it is. I would help if I could but it would be a little bit of a hassle to get down there! I already have trouble with our tiny apartment and 2 people. I can't imagine having a whole house and 5 people! you think I'm clean, but I don't think I could do your job and keep a clean house too.

Mitsy said...

I would just like to add to the fact that I too think your an AMAZING mother. You have always come across as that to me. Your children reflect that too. I too get overwhelmed, find distractions from what I truly want to be doing and then shoot, the day went by. At the end of the day though, if I can say my children were clothed, cleaned, fed, played with, etc. Then really I have done the most important job. I know you can say yes to all of that too. Your amazing Rachel, consider this your patt on the back for a job well done!