Thursday, June 5, 2008

We were just not meant to go swimming!

So let me start by saying that this whole situation came about because I pulled a stupid. The Lehi Legacy Center swimming lessons are pretty tough to get into - they fill up right away, so you have to sign up as soon as they open up. I looked a while ago and saw that Session 2 registration started June 2nd, and would open online the Saturday before. I was going to do that. But Saturday was Joey's baptism, and Sunday was Katy's birthday party, and I totally forgot. So Monday morning we were all out in the yard, and I suddenly remembered. I gathered the kids & the dog and rushed inside to go see if there were still any availabilities. They changed their website, and it took me a while to find the link to Online Registration. I FINALLY found it, and first looked for the Level 2 Preschool class. They have about 5 different class times, and I found one that had a couple openings! And directly under it was a 4-5 year old class with 2 openings! So I hurried and signed Ryan up, then opened a new browser and signed David up. Once I had done that I clicked back and forth to compare and make sure I had done everything right. And that's when I got that sinking feeling...I had signed David up for Level 3! They had the classes listed in order Level 2 4-5, Level 2 6-8, Level 2 Preschool, Level 3 4-5, etc. So I had wrongly assumed that they would be in age order, with preschool coming before 4-5. And I had been in such a hurry to make sure I got that spot that I made a stupid mistake. There was no opening in Level 2 4-5, and they have a "no refund unless it's an emergency" policy. And they say they won't keep a child in a class they aren't ready for. I've been feeling sick about it since then. What are they going to do - just say "he can't be in this class, but you can't have your money back, tough break for you"? It sounds like they just might! So the only thing I can think of at this point is to try and prepare him for Level 3.

That was Monday. Eagle Mountain's Pony Express Days are going on this week, so we had other activities Monday & Tuesday night. So last night we finally had a chance to go swimming. We had been out getting Katy's picture taken, so we stopped on the way home. That's when I realized the first problem. I had been so worried about making sure I had all 5 swimming suits, plus swim diapers (disposable AND reusable) for Katy and Ryan (new policy, all 3 and under have to, regardless of if they've been potty trained for >1 year...), that I hadn't brought towels! We thought maybe they'd have some available or for sale, so we all went in to ask. No luck. I finally decided (I say "I" instead of "we" because Dan was not happy about it!) that we'd just drip dry. So I told them "two adults & one child, and a reusable swim diaper." I didn't have one for Ryan (since he doesn't really need one...), but when I had called the day before they told me I could buy one there. Nope, they were out. WE SHOULD HAVE GONE HOME THEN!!!

But I really wanted to make sure we could go enough times to prepare David for swimming lessons, and the kids had their hearts set on it, so I made us drive to Target, where I got a swim diaper for Ryan, and 4 new towels (and some really cute jammies for Katy!). We drove back, went in, paid, got our swim bracelets, and got everyone in their swimming attire. We finally got in the pool shortly after 6. And almost immediately, definitely within 5 minutes, all the life guards blew their whistles a whole bunch. Somebody threw up in the pool! Which meant it'd be closed for at least an hour!

They gave us a pass to get back in, and we'll probably try again tonight (don't be grumpy Danny love...if you'd rather we could go to the Pony Express Days Carnival!). But good grief! I don't know what lesson we were being taught, but we certainly were not meant to go swimming last night!

0 comments: