Wednesday, May 21, 2008

The Aftermath of the Sick Mommy

I should never get sick. And not just because it's no fun to actually be sick, but because the aftermath is always miserable.

First, there's the housework. Yesterday as I started feeling better I started doing laundry, and I'm almost caught up with 4 loads. I loaded & ran the dishwasher, and it should only take one more load to finish the dirty dishes that have accumulated. I charged & used the roombas, so I no longer have to worry about Katy eating old yucky crumbs (I don't really mind if she eats same day crumbs).

Next, there's the yard work. I mentioned before how much I love playing with my flower gardens. Well, some of my little baby annuals are not well enough established yet to survive a couple days without water. I watered them last night, and today is cool & rainy, but there are several that I think are past hope. Oh well, that means I get to go buy more, right? Danny Love, I want no complaining from you, you could have watered them if you didn't want them to die.

And as an obvious result of me being sick, I now have a sick child. I called Dr Peterson (down in Orem) this morning, told them I have strep & my baby now has a fever and is quite whiny & clingy. They made me drive all the way down there & pay a $20 copay just to look and see that her throat was red. I'm glad she didn't have to be swabbed, it was miserable for me yesterday. But if they aren't going to be too scientific about it, couldn't they have given me the prescription over the phone?

And lastly, when my sweet Danny picked the kids up from preschool on Monday, he forgot to pass along the news that David was supposed to dress up for graduation today. I thought it was weird that they hadn't said to, so I put him in khakis & a blue polo shirt. Not so nice that he couldn't wear it on a normal day, but every bit as nice as the other kids in his class last year (he wore a suit and looked a little overdressed). So when I showed up today, one of the only 3 other boys in his class walked up in a white shirt & tie. And then the girls started coming in in very nice dresses. So, after driving all the way to Orem for Katy's appt this morning, I drove all the way back home to get something nicer for David to wear. And now I'm almost out of gas, and I have to get back by 2 for the graduation (earlier, I guess, so he can change!). So I guess I should address the situation rather than whine about it!

2 comments:

miriam said...

it seems like someone is always sick at your house. sad. I was talking to someone about being married, and somehow we got to the point that a great thing about married is that you have someone else to blame for everything, even if it's not really their fault (like you having to buy new flowers since Dan didn't water your plants). I hope you keep feeling better and that Katy gets all better too!

Alisha B. Whitman said...

Didn't you know that mommies aren't allowed to be sick?? Just kidding, know how you feel. It's the worst. Hope things are getting back to normal.