Friday, May 9, 2008

Organizing the playroom pays off!

Our playroom has been a complete and total disaster for a couple weeks. We're talking lots of bins of toys spread out evenly across the entire room. The boys just can't clean it up when it's like that! I don't know if it's David's probable ADHD (more on that later...) or just being kids, but it is such a cleaning up is such a difficult task for them! And it takes so much more work for them to pick up and toy, resist the urge to play with it, AND figure out which bin it goes in. They have way too hard of a time with the first two parts, adding the last is just asking for lots of frustration on everybody's part. We started yesterday, but it just didn't seem worth it. And Katy kept anti-helping - putting stuff away in the wrong places. So I decided I'd just do it myself, throwing away & DIing stuff along the way. And I realized that our toy bins didn't have any labels on them, so I did that, in the hopes that it will help them with future cleaning up. And this morning my efforts were rewarded!

Kids are so weird. I rotate their toys, and I understand that being exciting to see new toys they haven't seen in a while. But this time all I did was reorganize things. I moved the train table 10 feet to the left and turned it 90 degrees. And while I was riding the exercise bike this morning...

...it was all Ryan played with the entire 20 minutes!

(Katy was very happy when Mommy was done exercising and ready for a hug.)

Even David spent the whole time playing with his blocks & GeoTrax, both of which have been out for a long time! Just cleaning up makes them more interesting!

And all the toys downstairs are new to Katy. She pretty much only goes down there when I ride the bike, so everything is so fun! She spent a lot of the time this morning playing with the school bus. What a big girl!

2 comments:

miriam said...

I have 2 things. 1) are you exercising in slippers? and 2) why are your kids all grown up? david looks way old in his picture!

Rachel said...

No, they're slip on shoes. Still not great exercise shoes, but I'm just riding the bike. I hate putting on socks and exercise shoes, then having to tie them...too much work. I'm lazy, aparently!

And I know, my babies are growing up so fast! It's so sad!